Oh yeah, I never posted this page on tumblr! Gen Con was great, totally distracted me from posting anything.
I’m going to be attending Gen Con all four days this year! I don’t have a table or anything, I’m just gonna play some cool games and buy some rad stuff. If you’re going to be there, hit me up!
Bittersweet news! Starting Wednesday, I will be posting comics only once a week. Any more I’m spending a lot of time programming and pursuing other projects, and I find it increasingly difficult to provide two pages every week. I’m excited to spend more time working on game development, hopefully you will see the fruit of my labor more often!
Bat’s Eye Beta 1.3
- Right click on the Add Unit button to toggle unit size, shrinking them substantially.
- Right click on the Grid button to change how many feet each square of the grid represents. This also changes how right clicking with the Ruler functions!
- Use the scroll wheel to change the brush size of the Fog Brush!
- New Button: Help! Left click to activate the Help cursor, and click on other buttons and features to learn how they work!
- New Button: Spook Factor! Click on the Spook Factor button to gauge the spookiness of the room/scenario!
- Ctrl+Left click on units to skip to their turn.
- Hotkeys and shortcuts for all the basic tool functions! Learn what they are with the Help tool!
- Still none, hopefully!
The Help feature is very important, especially as this program becomes more and more complex. Now I don’t have to worry about explaining things as thoroughly in these posts, because all of the information you need in in-program.
Updates mondays and fridays!
Bat’s Eye Beta 1.2
- Delete, Move, and Copy all work on item markers now
- Right click on units with the trash can to “kill” them, turning them into an item marker with the same name, and a skull icon.
- Right clicking with the ruler now works properly.
- Placing items no longer triggers units to move.
- I think I fixed them all!
This is a pretty small update, but those two bugs from the last one were really bugging me. I would consider this version to be the most solid, containing really everything this program needs to be useful.
Wow, I just discovered a horrible bug with the previous versions! A saved and loaded map used to lose the initiative order data, thus locking the whole program. It is now fixed!
It shouldn’t have any harmful effects, I programmed it myself! Everything in the program was made by me, the map in the example images is not included because it belongs to D&D. It is certainly free, however if you find you really enjoy it and would like to make a donation, it would be greatly appreciated! You can find a donation button and other information about my projects at my gamedev blog. Incidentally, I just released an update right here that is bug free and more feature complete! Please use it, I would love to hear back from you! I’ve only recently started DM’ing so it’d be great to hear some feature suggestions from people who have been doing it longer!
This is the end of chapter 0! I’ve got chapter 1 mostly written, we’ll see when I get to it.
Updates mondays and fridays!
Bat’s Eye Beta 1.1
- Easier to read and better formatted text
- Right clicking with the cursor now has more unit editing options
- Copy: Click on any unit to create an exact copy
- More item icons
- While the grid is on, use arrow keys to adjust it’s location
- Left click with ruler to measure distances, right click with ruler to adjust pixel/foot ratio
- Left click on the ruler icon to type an exact pixel/foot ratio
- New Fog Brush icon. Fog now adheres to a grid.
- Right click with the Fog Brush to erase fog.
- Upload Background: Upload your own map image, .png only! It may require that you scale it down, it only displays at 1x1 ratio.
- Save: Save the everything but the background image, to be loaded later.
- Load: obvs
- Placing an item on the board will trigger units to walk to the spot. Toggle battle off to prevent this from subtracting from their distance.
- You can’t right click with the ruler I guess.
- All previous bugs are fixed!
Unfortunately I am having major issues resizing the window to match newly uploaded maps, so I had to simply make the window really big so that it could handle maps of various sizes. This looks kind of ugly, I’m looking into it but it really might be impossible.